RE: [at-l] snow... finally!

I had a lab that also loved the snow.   I lived in northern PA at the
time, in the Lake Erie snow belt, and the dog couldn't wait to get
outside and plow through the snow drift with her muzzle.

I now have a Boston Terrier that simply hates the colds and dreads the
coming of winter.  The breed is very short-haired, and she goes into a
"coma" on cold days, curled up in a pile of blankets.  But in her
defense, when summer hits she's the best hiking companion and loves the
outdoors -- she's also very easy to pick up and carry should we
encounter other dogs, raccoons, groundhogs, etc.  I'm contemplating
taking her on an overnighter, if I could only find a pack small enough
for her (she's 28 pounds) so that she can carry something.

Does anyone have any advice on the best dog breed for AT thru-hiking?
Anyone wish to share any experiences, positive/negative, on thru-hiking
with a dog (or other animal)?