Re: [at-l] PACK WT AND ITINERARY/SAFETY

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

> Date: Tuesday, 07-Jan-97 09:44 AM
>
> One other comment that SEVERAL people made regarded the issue of safety
on the
> trail and the posting of my itinerary.  I had also thought about that
issue
> before deciding to post and my schedule that is posted on the web is
already
> off by a few days.  As I send in my journal entries, there will be
> approximately a one week delay before my journal entries are posted.  I
don't
> want to be paranoid, but I also don't want to be stupid.  I think that
just a
> few days worth of inaccuracy will be enough to prevent any unwanted
> situations.  Or at least I'm hoping so!
>
> Thank you to everybody!!
> Rachel
> 'Solophile'  GA-->ME  '97

Rachel,

It's very good to be cautious, however, one of the fringe benefits the
Kushmans received by posting their trail journal on the net is the people
they got to meet because of it.  I was in Franklin, NC, in a restaurant
with about 20 other hikers, including the Kushmans.  Around the time we
were ordering dessert, a distinguished looking fellow walks up to our group
asks for Download & Nexmo.  He was a professor from some SC college, and he
came out to NC, because of the Kushmans exposure on the net.  I think he
even bought their meal for them, but I'm not positive on that one.  What
I'm trying to say is, don't be careless, but also don't be so overly
cautious that you might cut yourself off from some really cool Trail Magic
that could occur just because of your hike's exposure on the net.  Enough
of my sermon.

		have fun,

		Kurt
		kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com

There were days,
there were days,
there were days, I know.
When all we ever wanted,
was to learn and love and grow.
When we grew into our shoes,
we told them where to go.
Walked halfway around the world,
on promise of the glow
Stood upon a mountain top.
Walked barefoot in the snow.
Gave all we had to give,
how much we'll never know, . . . . never know.

                                 Robert Hunter