[at-l] Re: at-l Backpack (storage) question

> Sandra Downs wrote:
> >
> > Since I still haven't settled on a pack, there's one factor I'm curious
> > about: on the AT, what was the *minimum* cubic inches you could get away
> > with? Obviously this is linked to "pack light." Still, when I'm looking at a
> > 4300 c.i. vs. 5000 c.i. internal frame pack, I have to wonder...if I go with
> > the larger (and heavier) pack, will I be more tempted to fill it with stuff
> > I don't need <G>?

The gear head in me makes me say, be careful when looking at
the manufacturers stated capacity numbers for packs. Different
vendors arrive at those numbers different ways. Mostly by
what they use to measure total cubic inches. Like for instance
Dana Design uses ping-pong balls, so depending on how that
number is calculated a 5000 c.i. pack from one vendor may
be larger or smaller than another vendor, sometimes a great
deal larger or smaller. So keep that in mind when comparing
different manufacturers, make sure that brand x is really 700 ci
bigger or smaller than brand y . Two ways you might do that are , simply
eyeball it, or load them both with the same gear and see which one
fills up first. ....But of course fit is the most important.

Sandy and Alison
"The Smiths"
ME to GA '97  (REXX says leaving in 3,156 hours and 32 minutes )