[at-l] laundry/microfiber

I got some cheap Sierra Designs "windpants" from Sierra Trading Post (no
relation) a couple of years ago for about $30.  They were a light Nylon
Microfiber, light, breathable, very durable, and water never got through
them in the moderate rains I was in - I really liked them (its a long sour
story why I dont have them anymore...) While very light and packable (I
turned a pocket inside out and could stuff the whole thing into it) they
were rugged and had some nice features (calf-zips, etc)

I have a hunch that the Ultrex (made by Burlington or Dupont I think?, for a
while  used in North Face stuff, as well as many others, but less popular
now) was a touted waterproff breathable that was a mircofiber with a DWR
or something like that

I have a hunch that polyester microfibers are generally more durable and
softer, in general.

-jeff

PS - My old Outing Club liked to pass around a picture of the president
of the club and some others standing around in parkas and underwear in a
laundrymat in a small town in the Adirondacks.  They made their stay as
short as possible, because the law would probably not have been as nice
to them as in a thru-hiker town!