[at-l] ages for backpacking

I started taking my daughter out when she was 11 at which time she earned
her trail name "how much further".  this past season, at age 15 it was me
who suggested the rest stops.  Back in the 60's when I went to Philmont there
was a minimum age of 14.  I do not know if this is still the case.  We carried
all gear and tentage (their issue and not the lightest stuff) as well as food
for 4 to 5 days.  No one had trouble because of their physical ability.  Never
weighed our packs but would guess at 45 - 50 lbs and hip belts were a novelty
then.

Happy trails (and happy new year)
Rich