Re: [at-l] long distance hiking with young teenagers

SaraSW@aol.com wrote:
<stuff about kids snipped>
> How much can they carry? I've read that, because they're still growing,
> pre-teens should not carry a great deal, but nothing I've read says how much
> "a great deal"  is. Everybody says no more than 20 pounds, but should it be
> less?

From discussions I have read on rec.backcountry, most parents have their
kids carry a backpack with very little (in comparison to mom & dad) :)
in it. Usually the contents include a sleeping bag, water, snacks and a
jacket/fleece. Substanially less than 20#, but I don't know what else a
kid has to bring with them except maybe a flashlight and a book.

--
Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven