[at-l] ages for backpacking?

when working for a camp(s) for a few summers, I found that the best age
(for me anyway) taking 5 day or so trips was about 14 yrs old.  That was
also for social reasons, too tho.  We tended to do about 8 mile days (on
the AT in NY, CT), and most of the kids carried most of their stuff (the
leaders took specific items that were particularly heavy - like the 10 lb
industrial can of peanut butter that the camp director wanted us to bring
"just in case")

The kids distributed group gear according to what each could carry
fairly democratically and it usually came out pretty even, taking size
into account. Of course, this was possible in a large group, and with
fewer people to divide up group gear, would be more difficult.

I found that at 14 (give or take, obviously), the kids were old enough to
be very responsible and understand the impact of their decisions well
enough to make major decisions, but not too set in a "teen mindset" or
whatever you want to call it, yet.

That's just what I found, and obviously groups are different than one or
two.  YMMV

One note, with girls I think periods were an issue.  We tended to have
a female counsellor/trip leader on every trip who dealt with it because
the female campers didn't really want to discuss it with the male trip
leaders, so I am inexcusably ignorant of the details, but it never
stopped the trip or became a major problem (partially because the trips
were so short).

-jeff
(by the way, I think I still consider the time I spent with them the most
fun I've ever had.)