[at-l] Re: William Phipps' question about section hikers on the List

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 11:05:51 -0500
>From: "William C. Phipps" <brendan@ovnet.com>
>Subject: [at-l] New to the list
>
>I  just joined the AT list.  I am 49 years old and have been hiking the AT
>since 9/91 on long weekends and a couple times a year for 10 to 14 days at a
>time as my job commitments allow.  At the end of October 96 I reached the
>southern boundary of Shenendoah National Park. I guess that puts me about a
>third of the way to Katahdin.  My wife and two German Shepherds drop me off
>at trailheads and usually pick me up 12 - 15 miles later at a road crossing.
>On the few occasions that road crossings were too far apart for a day hike I
>stay in shelters or in a one person tent I carry.  I wish that my wife would
>hike with me but she does not have the interest in the solitude or the
>physical challenge the AT requires.  I am most grateful to her for portaging
>me around however.  We stay in campgrounds or motels on our trips to the AT.
>We live in Wheeling, W. Va.  I truly love the beauty and solitude that the
>AT provides.
>
>I realize that most of you on the list are probably thru-hikers (I would be
>too if I could ever win the lottery :>),  but are any of you proceeding as I
>am?  If so I would enjoy hearing from you.  Assuming I don't win the
>Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes my goal is to complete the AT by the
>time I am 55 and then to start the Pacific Crest Trail.
>
>Bill
>brendan@ovnet.com

Bill:

I am also new on the list and am a section hiker as well.

Thanks for your example of accomplishing so much in the limited time that
you have had.

I hiked one-half of the trail this summer (Rockfish Gap,VA -> Andover, ME,
from June-Sept) and it was the best vacation I've ever taken.  I hope to
complete the trail in sections, N->S, by the year 2001.  Section hikers such
as yourself provide inspiration to me that it can be done--thanks!

Regards,
Chris

Christian E Rademacher
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.   USA
c-rademacher@nwu.edu