Re: [at-l] About Arnica

ILFltlndr@aol.com wrote:

> I looked arnica up in my Rodale book on Herbs.  It says it is for external
> use only, so I must have taken some other kind of pill, but I know I did use
> the gel 'cause I dug it out of the drawer.  It is called "Arnifora" arnica
> gel.
>
> Rodale says "The soothing qualities of arnica have been known for quite some
> time both in Europe and North America.  While European herbalists concocted
> remedies from Arnica montana, American Indians made healing ointments and
> tinctures with native species.  A salve made from arnica helped to relax
> stiff muscles, and a tincture was used to treat wounds.  In 1820, arnica was
> officially added to the US Pharmacopoeia and is still listed in the US
> Dispensatory.
>
> .....An arnica ointment relieves the pain and reduces the inflammation of
> sprains and bruises.  A 1981 German study found two substances in this herb,
> helenalin and dihydrohelenalin, that produce anti-inflammatory and analgesic
> effects.
>
> .....The helenalin in arnica may cause dermatitis in some individuals."
>
> Need we know more?   I just personally have not found any relief using this
> gel.  But others might.

After the post about Arnica appeared here, I went to my local health
food place and inquired about it. They carried both the salve and pills
for internal use. I bought some of the salve and dutifully rubbed it on
my knee for about a week. No effect.

I also bought some Rhus Toxicodendron at the recommendation of the owner
of the health store. You put these little pills under your tongue and
let them dissolve. This homeopathic remedy is supposed to help arthritis
pain. Well, again, no effect. Next stop: Orudis KT.

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com