[at-l] stereotypes/huristics (was: get your whips,another dead horse)

On the topic of not judging a book by it's cover, there was something I
meant to say before that thread fizzled out
(brandishing my whip)
So this is off the topic, and for those of you that are tired of my
ranting, now is the time to click that nice "delete" button.

</start rant>

I like to think I give some leeway to people with various extra body
punctures, a little more or less hair, etc. having known many such fine
people (and having known many fine bikers, remember that thread?)

Maybe this is the evolutionary psychology advocate in me (see the latest
newsweek for an abuse of the perspective), but remember that we judge
books by their cover for a reason.  One definition of learning is the
ability to generalize from one situation to similar ones.
It takes too much time (and indeed would be stupid, if not impossibe) to
judge each situation anew.  I can make a general assumption, that the man
with a mask and a gun is about to mug me from what I know about people
like that in general.  It would be nice if I could gather more
information on the individual before making that judgement, but it might
be dangerous and at the least would take time.

I'm not comparing people with tatoos to muggers, but I before people cry
"your jumping to conclusions" and "your stereotyping," remember that it
is part of human nature and we *all* do it every day (assuming the car
with a turn signal on is going to turn based on our past experience and
conception of what a turn signal is for, etc)

The reason that I give more leeway to people with nose-rings is that I
have generalized from those whom i knew who were good people, to the
nose-ringed population as a whole (plus I think they look good on a lot
of people), so i have "stereotyped" using the same mechanism for positive
views.

Anyway, my point was merely that those who 'stereotype' about other
hikers who look different are acting out human nature and dont deserve to
be crucified.

</end rant>

-jeff

PS - I'm told that the septum piercing can be very dangerous if it gets
infected, be careful about keeping it clean and stuff on the trail.