[at-l] "Free" Lodging

I've just finished the 1997 Thru-hiker's Handbook, and, in preparing each
edition, I run into a lot of interesting information about the places along
the Trail. Perhaps the single most interesting statistic that came across
my desk this year was the following concerning Graymoor Friary. It costs
them $26.50 per hiker who stays overnight and eat meals with them, not
counting staff time and expense. The average hiker donation last year was
$5.84 for all hikers who stayed as their guests. -- Wingfoot