Re: [at-l] Knees and Orthotics

In a message dated 96-12-20 11:19:20 EST, MHOLMES@NETVA.COM (MARK HOLMES)
writes:

<< I've had neuromas (still have them) and I
 never feel them at all with these on.  Interestingly, I never had a problem
 with my neuromas on the trail either - primarily because my boots were wide
 enough. So if you have neuromas, make sure your boots are wide enough in the
 toe area! >>

What's a neuroma Mark?  I have used orthodics for my ankle pain.  When I
first got them I thought my shins were on fire because of the difference in
the way I walked.  I had them adjusted after a few days since it hadn't quite
and then I had a muscle that would cramp going up the side of my ankle to my
knee.  I complained about that..... and further adjustment was made.  I never
did quite make a transition to wearing them, nor has my ankle completely been
cured.  I forgot my orthodics on a 3-4 day hike and never had a problem with
my ankle.  So that was the end of me trying to wear them.  I got back to the
Illinois Flatland and my ankle started bothering me again.  It doesn't like
flatland!!  Anyway I can see where orthodics can cause knee pain.  Even a
very fine adjustment makes so much difference!!  It would be hard to get it
exact for every activity.

I have knee pain going downhill, but it has never been to the point where I
had to wrap my knees or anything.  I always seem to survive it.  The last
time out (when you shuttled us) I was in the lousiest shape I have ever been
in (and still am) and had the ligament from the front of my hip to my thigh
just KILL!!  I thought I wasn't going to make it.  It was like a cramp, and
if I rested I could go on again for a while.  Weird!

Alice
IL Fltlndr@aol.coom