[at-l] Re: Insurance on the Trail

At 05:32 PM 12/20/96 -0500, Kahley wrote:

>Also..to hike the trail, most people have to quit their job which is
>usually the source of their hospitalization insurance.  Being self
>employed, I know the problems/cost of self-insuring and wondered how
>this is handled during a thru.

We took out a short term policy thru a company in Michigan. Cost us $700 for
the two of us for 6 months.  Damn good thing we got it, as I broke my ankle
and those bills were around $14,000.  You could renew it one more time for 6
months, which I did, and just before it expired, my gallbladder blew up on
me - that bill - about $15-16,000.
Needless to say, if you want to use this particular company, don't tell them
that I sent you!  If you want particulars, e-mail me.

Mark
Mark and Janet Holmes (Appalachian Trail - GA>NH (minus PA) '95)
NH > ME + PA 1997
Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
VA 16
Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
AT Hiker stopping point in the Grayson Highlands!
-provider of shuttles in SW VA
Phone: 540-677-3313
http://members.tripod.com/~Mark_Holmes/