Re: [at-l] Knees and Orthotics

Mark,

At 08:16 AM 12/20/96 PST, Mark Holmes wrote:
>the right guy). Interestingly enough, about 6 months ago, my wife suggested
>I buy a pair of Birkenstocks. At first the arch felt real high (I'm
>flatfooted), but I got used to that - now I find them the most comfortable
>thing I've ever worn on my feet. Maybe I need Birkenstock to make me a pair
>of hiking boots? Or my orthotics?  I've had neuromas (still have them) and I
>never feel them at all with these on.  Interestingly, I never had a problem
>with my neuromas on the trail either - primarily because my boots were wide
>enough. So if you have neuromas, make sure your boots are wide enough in the
>toe area!

I have a neuroma in my right foot, and wear Birkenstocks a lot of the time.
Birkenstocks have a metatarsil support... the support spreads out the
metatarsil bones and gives the neuroma (a benign tumor around the nerve)
more room to move freely.  Also, Birkenstock makes 3/4 length orthotics that
appear to be very similar to their shoes.  They arn't all that expensive either.

Also, I completely agree about getting shoes & boots that are wide enough in
the toe area.  It makes a big difference for me.

I have two recent "discoveries" to pass on:

(1) There is a german company called "Finn Comfort" that makes reasonably
good looking conventional shoes with a Birkenstock like footbed (including
lots of toe room and a metatarsil support).  The only drawback is that they
cost more than most hiking boots.  I have a pair for work, and find them
very comfortable. I wear my Birkenstocks at work alot too!

(2) Two of our local shoe stores fit shoes very differently than the others.
I find their approach much more comfortable.  Basically, instead of working
against the length of the foot, they work against the arch length -- the
distance from your heel to the widest part of the foot.  The idea is to line
up the widest part of the foot with the widest part of the shoe.  Typically,
one ends up with a larger shoe size when arch length is measured.

-- Jim