Re: [at-l] Knees and Orthotics

At 10:08 AM 12/20/96 EST, you wrote:

>I finally decided to discontinue usage of my orthotics and the
>pain has disappeared.  I may not be a rocket scientist but
>to me it was a simple equation that I'm planning to adhere to
>for my thru-hike next year: NO ORTHOTICS = NO KNEE PAIN
>
>Rachel
>'Solophile'  GA-->ME  '97

Not to beat a dead horse, but it is possible (likely is probably a better
word) that your orthotics were not made correctly.  Sometimes very small
adjustments need to be made and they can make all the difference.
Unfortunately, that is not an easy task as it takes a lot of communication
between patient and doctor and even then, it depends on the doctor's skill
as to whether he gets your foot cast correctly. I've been wearing orthotics
for 30 years and I couldn't walk without them, yet they're not quite right,
I believe, for backpacking. (This could probably be solved if I found the
right Doc, but I'm afraid the $$ issue may hold me back from chasing down
the right guy). Interestingly enough, about 6 months ago, my wife suggested
I buy a pair of Birkenstocks. At first the arch felt real high (I'm
flatfooted), but I got used to that - now I find them the most comfortable
thing I've ever worn on my feet. Maybe I need Birkenstock to make me a pair
of hiking boots? Or my orthotics?  I've had neuromas (still have them) and I
never feel them at all with these on.  Interestingly, I never had a problem
with my neuromas on the trail either - primarily because my boots were wide
enough. So if you have neuromas, make sure your boots are wide enough in the
toe area!
Well, I guess I wandered thru enough topics there - geez!
Oh by the way Rachel, if you don't have pain without the orthotics, I
wouldn't use them either!

Mark
Mark and Janet Holmes (Appalachian Trail - GA>NH (minus PA) '95)
NH > ME + PA 1997
Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
VA 16
Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
AT Hiker stopping point in the Grayson Highlands!
-provider of shuttles in SW VA
Phone: 540-677-3313
http://members.tripod.com/~Mark_Holmes/