[at-l] Re: Cranberries

Are you tired of the nastiness of the thread about hunters, and ready to talk
about food?

Thanks to all who gave advice about drying cranberries.  Your comments helped
me along.  As a result of this help and some experimenting, I've come up with
a decent method of drying cranberries.   However, I have to say the results
are good but not great.

To dry cranberries:
1)Take a cup of cranberries and spilt each one in half.
2) Put them in a microwavable container with a lid
3) Add 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon sugar.  Stir it all up.  The sugar
is optional, but I find regular cranberries to be too bitter.
4) Microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes.  The berrries will be soft
(uncooked, they are woody in the center) but still will hang together.
5) Gently stir again. Gently place berries in dehydrator and dry them.  The
mixture will drip, so I put the berries in the second drying tray from the
bottom; I put an empty tray in the bottom with a plastic sheet to catch the
drips.

This works fairly well.

ATTurtle