[at-l] Re: SNP

Forwarded message:
> From: martha@MIT.EDU
> Subject: [at-l] SNP
> Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:25:03 EST
>
> Hi,
>    I'm planning a week long hike in the SNP in the last weekend in
> March, and I have a few questions, as I've never been down there.<snip>
> I guess the more important question is about transportation. We might be
> able to get a car, but if we do we'll still be stuck a 6 or 7 days
> hike away from our car when we finish. Are there buses that could take
> us back to the car? And if we couldn't bring the car, could the bus
> take us to the trail head, and then pick us up when we've finished?
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> 					-Martha Montague
> 					 ME -> GA '98

Martha:  There are no buses or other public transportation.  There are cab
companies in Gatlinburg and Cherokee, but that's too much $$.  There are
many people who shuttle in that area.  I have an old (5/94) list from the
ATC, but you could request an up to date one.  Send a stamped,
self-addressed, envelope to Appalachian Trail Conference, P.O. Box 807,
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425 with a note requesting their list of shuttle
services..  These people will meet you where you are leaving
your car at the endpoint of your hike, and drive you and your packs to the
beginning point of your hike.  The shuttler I've used 3 or 4 times is
Wilson Shuler in Bryson City, NC.  For instance, I left my car at Fontana
Dam and he picked me up there and drove me to Newfound Gap and dropped me
off and as I recall the charge was somewhere in the $50 to $60 range,
however it may be higher now because they are _supposed_ to be licensed or
something (this was mentioned in one of the AT newsletters recently).  Let
me know if you need more information.
   NOTE:  If you use hiking staffs, be sure you get them and/or any other
loose pieces of equipment from the shuttler's car when you are dropped off.
Once, I forgot my staff was in the back seat...   :-(     Linda.

*                                                                          *
*  Linda L. Patton                  "Nearness to nature...keeps the        *
*  Reference Librarian               spirit sensitive to impressions       *
*  Strozier Library                  not commonly felt, and in touch       *
*  Florida State University          with the unseen powers."              *
*  Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047             --Ohiyesa                        *
*                                           The Soul of the Indian         *
*  Phone: (904) 644-5019                    1911                           *
*  E-Mail: lpatton@mailer.fsu.edu                                          *
*                ...the siren call of the wilderness...                    *