Re: [at-l]cash on the trail

At 07:26 AM 12/18/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a question for the thru-hikers out there: how much cash should I
>be carrying at any time on a thru-hike?  Do most places along the Trail
>accept plastic?  Are there ATMs anywhere, or should I expect to have to
>have maildrops for traveller's checks?
>				Ryan

Ryan,
Don't count on too many ATM's. Better to send traveler's checks in your mail
drops. You can get cash advances on your credit card at a bank, which we did
a couple of times, but reluctantly. We usually sent about $20-40 to
ourselves in travelers checks in each mail drop and were usually short on
cash! But that all depends on what you buy along the trail - it is such an
individual thing, it is difficult to determine. Any outfitter is going to
accept plastic, but little convenience stores along the way might be a
different story.

Mark

Mark and Janet Holmes (Appalachian Trail - GA>NH (minus PA) '95)
NH > ME + PA 1997
Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
VA 16
Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
AT Hiker stopping point in the Grayson Highlands!
-provider of shuttles in SW VA
Phone: 540-677-3313
http://members.tripod.com/~Mark_Holmes/