Re: [at-l] Hunting on the Trail, don't trust everything you read

Jeff wrote:

> right after hiking/climbing # of deaths...

I wonder why they lump hiking and climbing together.  Walking down the Colorado
Trail is nothing like climbing the east face of Longs Peak.  But like you say,
the numbers are really meaningless unless you know the number of participants in
each activity and the degree to which they participate (and how you measure the
degree to which people participate and normalize that data across all groups is
beyond me).

> Hikers die, but rarely kill others while doing it.

They do quite often put rescue people in harm's way.  It could be argued that it's
the rescue people's job, but I still find it tradgic when a rescue worker is injured
or killed because of an unprepared or poorly equpped person.

                                          -Tom