Re: [at-l] Hunting on the Trail, easier question?

Jeff Mosenkis wrote:

snip

>        Do the benifits of hunting (food, environment conservation,
> protection of legal rights, etc) outweigh the losses (occasional
>death, disruption of other's enjoyment of the wilderness, etc)?
> Anybody wanna tackle it from that point of view (or point out flaws in
> the argument)?snip
> -jeff

Just for the heck of it...

 Do the benifits of_hiking_(fun, environment conservation,
> protection of legal rights, etc) outweigh the losses (occasional
>death, disruption of other's enjoyment of the wilderness, etc)?

Now consider the below which I copied from rec.backcountry.........

{please remember the tone of the following is not mine....in other words
"Don't shoot the messenger"  :-)

"*WARNING* The following is intended to gore some sacred cows so if you
want to stay in a mental haze.....  BTW, I neither hunt or fish so donšt
think I am pushing an agenda.

There was a report in the Colorado Springs Gazette today

http://gazette.com

about a report on deaths in outdoor recreation in Colorado between 1993
and 1995.  A couple of things caught me eye.  First off, you are 14
times more likely to die while hiking and climbing than hunting. There
were 69 deaths over the period due to hiking and climbing and 5 due to
hunting. In fact, even fishing was twice as deadly as hunting at 11
deaths. Why do I begin to feel that the vitriol expended on hunters
being unsafe murdering thugs in this news group is a bit misplaced?
After all, they are 14 times safer than we are!"

I didn't want to clog everyone's mailbox with the whole post, but you
can find it here:
http://ww2.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/news?msg@44078@rec%2ebackcountry%26Hiking+Climbing%2614x%26dangerous%26hunting%26than%26more

This is the address for an alta vista search result.  I'm not sure , but
in case this link in time sensitive you can access the post, as well as
the thread it provoked by entering:
 Hiking/Climbing 14x more dangerous than hunting.....at:

http://altavista.digital.com/

The original post is on page 4 or 5, number 140 or so( I think) and
dated Nov 11.

I'd hate to have anyone apply your 'rational choice' arguement to my
favorite pastime considering the above.....	Kahley