Re: [at-l] Favorite Books

>I heard a couple of horror stories
>>of people (hostel/motel owners) of dealing with Wingfoot (sorry Wingfoot,
>>but I'm just stating what I exerienced)...
>>
>>Nomad '96
>
>This I take great exception to. I have fair and honest dealings with
>everyone in the book.

Woops...I guess I should apologise for the strong word I used....Horror
stories was perhaps a bit
too strong a word to use.  I guess I'd have been better to say "problems
with".  The particualr example I am thinking of is a motel/hotel that was
trying to get in the handbook some more information about themselves (like
you can use them as a maildrop because there is no post-office for miles)
and after years of trying gave up....instead there's a camp-ground in the
other direction that was absolutely disgusting that we used as a maildrop
and then almost got sucked into staying there when the motel/hotel was 1000
times nices, friendlier, hiker-friendly.

I appreciate that WIngfoot puts alot of time and effort into his book, and
alot of people use it and are 100% happy with it.  But, there were alot of
complaints about places that were given rave reviews in the book
(especially a particular campground in GA or NC, not certain which) that
gave absolutely every thru-hiker I met the worst time (and believe me, it
got to a point where I asked everyone whether they stayed there and their
reaction to the place - I was fortunate enough to skip the place), and it
got rave reviews from Wingfoot....it made ALOT of people wonder.

Anyway, I guess this is one of the reasons I read much of what goes on the
AT-L but don't post much...too much foot in mouth for me.

So, without further ado....

I'm sorry for the exaggeration, and I apologize to you WIngfoot for the
unnecessary aggrivation it may have caused you.

Nomad '96