Re: Fw: [at-l] Favorite Books

I'm just now finishing The Monkey Wrench Gang.  It's interesting, but I
can't go along with the premise of this one, though sometimes I think Abbey
had a point in his other writings, notably Confessions of a Barbarian.

It raises an interesting question, though, which is how far do we/should
we/can we go to protect the environment.

The first time I saw the effects of clear cutting in the Pacific Northwest,
I had one of those clutch in-the-gut reactions of "NO!"   But the thought
that some environmentalists would drive iron spikes into trees so that
chainsaw chains would snap apart when it hit a spike also repulses me.  I
mean, the logger has to eat, too.  And it's hard to work when your face is
chewed up by a breaking chainsaw chain.

I'd be interested to hear any opinions any of you would care to share on
this question.

Guess it's off the topic of favorite books, huh?

Lynn