Re: [AT-L] Uwharrie trip

At 08:05 AM 10/18/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm off for a couple of days in Uwharrie National Forest in North
>Carolina.  Anybody ever been there?  I know the elevatio never goes above
>1000 ft, so the trip should be easy.
>				Ryan

Ryan, the trip should be easy but when I was there a couple weeks ago there
were many blow-downs from FRAN. They may or may not have cleared the trail.
A hiker from Sanford recently got lost there because of the damage. I would
advise you to take a map and compass just in case. I had no trouble finding
the trail but I only did the bottom loop from the parking lot at 24/27. You
can do an 8 mile loop, a 16 mile loop, or hike the Uwharrie trail in either
direction. It is a beautiful area not to be in the mountains and resembles
the AT in many areas. I take my scouts there to prepare them for hikes on
the AT. I am about an hour drive from there and will be glad to help you any
way I can.
ralph >