Re: Grayson Highlands Directions/Kelty Pack

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:16:25 -0500 (CDT), Herbert Davis wrote:

Hi Herb,

>(Posted during down time).  I would like a Piedmonter(NC) or anyone to
>tell me how long it takes them to get from the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham
>Chapel Hill) area to Grayson Highlands and what routes they take.

We just went there a month ago -- very pretty area, but watch your step!
Lots of cows, ponys, etc.  so the trails are full of 'land mines.'  :)
We live south of Raleigh in Wake County and take the 40W to
Winston-Salem.  Then take the Business 40W thru town and pick up the 421
W. Then take I77 N about 6 miles and get off on the 21 N. Then take the
21/221N (you pick up the 221 after a while) to the 58 W. The 58 will
take you right by the main entrance to Grayson Highlands.  Backpackers
should register at the ranger station, and there is a fee for parking.
Not too expensive -- higher on weekends though.  I think it took us 4.5
hours to get there, but if you're in Chapel Hill, you'd be about an hour
closer.

Have a great trip!  If you come across a better/quicker way, please let
me know -- I'm always game for a new short cut!

>Every time I see a pack I buy it(almost). One for every family member and
>of course a spare and internal and external.  Well I saw this almost
>new green pack at the thrift shop, I paid six bucks (they wrote a price
>on it with me holding it).  When I got home I looked at it and it was a
>Kelty internal of some sort (very nice). I don't see any name on it so
>how do you tell if you didn't buy it with directions(haha). One of my
>lucky days.  I've seen all kinds of Kelty's but I would think somewhere
>there's a name or something. It's a standard pack with several external
>pockets along with the two large compartments. Enough cues? Thanks
>What pack to take next time. Decisions, Decisions  HERB

Sounds like a good deal!  Now where's this place at....?  :)

 -Dave

Dave DeCroix
decroix@brunt.meas.ncsu.edu
finger for PGP public key

"Walk quietly away in any direction...
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees,
the winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their
energies, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."  -John Muir