School vs. AT

OK - first, let me announce that I got rid of the old clunker
'psychotherapy hotline' signature, I know it was big and I was feeling
guilty about the bandwidth thing for a while (I also changed schools,
even though I am keeping this e-mail account).

Now I know there is some talk on the list about taking the SATs and the
value of going to college vs. thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail.  After I
graduated from undergrad I was thinking about both, and finally decided
on going to grad school.  After my first official week of grad school, I
would like to present to you my

*Top 10 reasons why hiking the Appalachian Trail is better than going to
School*

10) 1 PhD takes the same time as 14 thru-hikes, and people are more
    impressed by a thru-hike

9) Student housing smaller and more expensive than 2 person backpacking tent

8) Ramen noodles tastier (and probably healthier) than that stuff they are
   serving in the cafeteria

7) You think a pack with 10 days of food is heavy?  Try carrying intro
   Bio texts!

6) My MSR Whisperlight cooks faster than that relic of a stove that comes
   with my apartment

5) Hard getting to sleep in a shelter full of Boy Scouts?  Try living
   next to a fraternity house

4) 1 year tuition same $$ as 45 Dana packs, and you can't carry anything
   in your degree!!

3) Never knew anybody who pulled an all-nighter studying for tomorrow's hike

2) Mail drops more reliable for next meal than student loan check

*And the number one reason why thru-hiking the Appalachian Trial is
better than school (drum roll)*

1) The AT ends!!
Jeffrey Mosenkis         MAPSS Student          University of Chicago
                     jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

              *Freelance Joking Avunculate For Hire*

Follow-Ups: References: