Favorite Shelter/Stretch of Trail

Well, maybe I'm not qualified to vote as I haven't done the whole thing, but
I have stayed in a few shelters over the years and my all-time favorite is
the one in Rausch Gap (St. Anthony's Wilderness), Pa. It was new when I
stayed there back in the 70's, had running water right beside the shelter,
and a table with a tree growing through the middle of it. Plenty of places
to sit, and I had some great times there with good friends.

As far as a favorite stretch goes-----that's tough. As far as scenic beauty,
I've got to say either the Whites or the Smokies-they're much different, but
both areas provide an almost mystical experience for me. Tie. (I've never
been to Katahdin, so maybe it would blow these two places away)

As far as the stretch dearest to me? It has to be the stretch from Elkwallow
Wayside to Hogback Mtn. in Shenandoah N.P. This was the first section I ever
hiked at the suggestion of a thru-hiker I met at Matthews Arm Campground
back in 1974. It was my first time on the Trail, and I was absolutely
captivated. It was a magical time.

I'm saving Katahdin for last. Won't do it until I either thru-hike or
section hike the whole thing. Maybe it will replace the other places in the
pantheon.

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com