Re: [AT-L] Sealers of all sorts

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Robert J. Davis wrote:

> I have One-Sport Moraines. The directions say to not treat them with
> anything. I have used Sno-Seal on them once, in a rebellious fit of rage.
> Should I continue? I don't think that Sno-seal has anything that will
> damage the leather, as some chemical-based sealers do...
>
> Felix

I just got a pair of cheap-o One Sports (for around town so I don't scuff
up my beautiful Fabianos which I *love* - /end shameless plug)
I'm told the leather is treated with something that make it waterproof
and outside sealers, treatments might compromise it.

I don't know if that explanation really holds water though (sorry
couldn't resist!)

My advice - if you are worried, see if they leak w/out the sealer and if
they do, then add it (a word of caution - it is often difficult to tell
when hiking if the water in your shoes is due to actual leather leakage
or other factors  (seams/welts, water coming in over the top, etc)
Another way to test is to fill your bathtub up 6 inches or to just below
the boot collar, then walk around for a while - a half hour or so (walk
around *in the tub* that is).  Take a chair in, sit down, read a book,
just give the water a good chance to work its way in and see what happens.

-jeff

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany -                 Telecommunications Department-
Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies                  "IP Slave"

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."