Re: [AT-L] RE: First Aid/CPR course

>I've seen a professional traction-splint (used for femur fracture) which is
>essentially a 3-section aluminum tent pole and a handful of nylon webbing,
>elastic and velcro.  It costs $80 but you could build your own with $5
>worth of materials.

As a ski a patroller, we were shown how to rig a traction splint using ski
poles, now that people use them for walking staffs it could be very apropos.
Just carry a six inch long piece of metal rod/tube/whatever, with two holes
drilled in it, wide enough for the pole tips to go through (the pole gaskets
will keep the rod from slipping up) about a half inch from each end. With a
little rope, a few bandanas, and duct tape (all items any well prepared
bakpacker should carry), you have a very functionable traction splint.

Also closed foam pads, cut to size, make very good splints for arms, legs, etc..

Lashed toether backpacks and a couple of long branches can be made into a
useful stretcher (padded with your sleeping pad).

The key to backcountry first aid is 1.) don't panic, 2.) use your
imagination, you have what you need, it's just not apparent.

Walter