[AT-L] Advice for newbie?

Hello, list!  This is my first time on this list, and I think that it's just
too cool.  I'm a 17F, and have done portions of the trail around where I live
(MD/VA) and also up in Maine.  A buddy of mine and I are looking to do a
portion of the trail upon our graduation (in May), but we're starting
planning now.  My friend is a novice in hiking, and I've done quite a bit,
including parts of the AT.  Is there any advice that y'all can give us as we
prepare?  Thanks so much!  Happy hiking.  ---Kristin