Re: [AT-L] APS ... transmogrifying to general photography

John Newman wrote:

> I could be way off base here, but how the heck is one going to bore more than
> two or three friends at a time with images from an AT thruhike or other
> outing if one can't give a slide show?  To the best of my knowledge, the film
> for APS (Advanced Photo System???) does not come in other than negative film.

Very good point!  I have always used slide film for several reasons.

	- color saturation better (IMHO)
	- easy to preview
	- easy to show to groups
	- cataloging and storage
	- permanence (well, compared to trad. print/neg)
	- prints can be made economically
	- many magazines and calendars only accept transparencies

Also, if you were to get that "perfect" AT calendar or mazagine shot,
the minimum accepted format size is almost always 35mm.

My favorite trail camera?  An old Olympus XA.  Rangefinder focus,
aperature-priority, quality glass, size of cigarette pack,
indestructable (so far), integrated but removable flash.  Downsides?
They don't make it any more, not full auto, 35mm fixed lens.  BUT I LIKE
IT!

I occasionally carry a Canon Photura that has a built in power zoom,
built in flash, etc.  Does a good job, but is kinda bulky.

I wish I could carry my Nikon N90 more, but it gets a little hefty for
more than a weekend, plus I like to take more time to work with it,
rather than shooting snapshots.

To keep this more an AT-related thread, consider the following.

	- film is cheap.  use a lot, and your pictures will improve
	- find a camera _you_ like and learn all it's features
	- know how your camera and chosen film responds under diff cond.
	- you don't need to lug a tripod, but brace your camera well for 		the
sharpest results.  You can use your pack as a giant 		bean bag to hold
the camera.  You can even use your 		hiking staff to create a kind of
bracing tripod with your 		body.  Some of the trekker poles have a
1/4x20 thread 		under the top knob.
	- 'slower' film is less grainy and enlarges better (i.e. 100 vs 		400
ASA/ISO) I typ. use 25 or 50 when shooting seriously,
		ASA 64 or 100 for ordinary use.
	- learn how to use 'fill flash' in sunlight (if available)
	- try to shoot a mix of features.  Of course, you want snapshots
		of friends and special places along the way for your own 		album, but
an audience at your great slide show wants 			pretty scenics and people
in action.

DP...

Follow-Ups: References: