Re: [AT-L] down & going tentless

I didn't feel like quoting and editing out most of the last message about
tent weights (it is a pain with my editor, and my telnet connection from
Chicago to Albany has really bad lag)

There was a brief list of some tents and weights - just a couple of gear
weenie comments - for a thru hike, I would not go with the Camel or Quest
tents.  I don't have any experience with Camel, but I am told they are
not of great quality.  Quest in general, and the Preying Mantis in
particular, is a good tent, but I would not recommend it for the
continuous abuse that it will take on a thru-hike, if I recall the 4
season is pretty good, but the 3 season is less of a 'bargain' for its
weight.
Also, the preying mantis uses a central hub (or maybe 2 one in front and
one in back) if I recall, that the poles come and join.  That is a major
point of vulnerability if it breaks, of chips just enough so that one of
the poles won't stay in.  I am also told that the setup is difficult with
frozen fingers, too (trying to aim the poles into the hub).  not to say
it isn't a fine tent, just for the continuous day after day abuse for the
months of a thru hike, I don't think it would last (although compared to
other  tents made in China, it is not bad).

jeff

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany -                 Telecommunications Department-
Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies                  "IP Slave"

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."