Re: Campfires

<Or maybe they like to sit around a fire at night.. for no other reason than
they just like to!>

Michael Vaughn, you make some excellent points in favor of eliminating
campfires from the camping scene.  I almost never build a fire, and when I do
it's always within an established fire ring or shelter fireplace.  But to
answer your question of why people like to build a fire, I would say that a
fire is a living entity and as such, provides companionship.  It's like
sitting with a close friend - neither of you has to say anything yet you can
enjoy each other's company.

Anyway, I agree with you that we can hardly afford to add to the haze and air
pollution.

Marty Manzano