Campstoves vs. Campfires

At 02:34 PM 9/23/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Campfires generate much more air pollution than a well-tended,
>clean-burning campstove. The stove burns only as long as needed to
>prepare food and drink, but the fire burns and smolders over a much
>longer period and inherently burns "dirtier". In many natural areas
>around the country (the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park is a prime
>example), the problem of air pollution is becoming critical, and
>although campfires create a tiny portion of the total, we don't need to
>contribute campsmoke when there are options.

And one should also be sensitive to other campers in the area (or in the
shelters). I can not say that I enjoy sucking camp smoke blowing directly in
at me while sleeping in a shelter.  Also - never leave your water filter and
hoses laying out on a table in the line of fire from camp smoke!  Unless you
want to drink very smoky water till you can find some bleach to clean out
your hoses!  I know!

Mark