Re: Pre hike training

>I was wondering if any of the thru-hikers on the list did any of this
type
>of training prior to their thru-hikes? Do you recommend it?

I personally think additional physical training is
unnecessary for any sort of distance hiking if the
prospective hiker already has the physical ability
to sling on a pack and carry it a reasonable
distance.  By the end of the second week on the
trail, most folks have walked themselves into
decent physical condition anyway.

Training is probably useful for those looking to
speed-hike the trail, and who will be doing marathon+
distances per day, every day.  That's a really different
critter, though.

For those hiking in a more conventional manner,
better to concentrate on mental preparation.

jim
jloudon@juno.com