Re: [AT-L] Knee pops

Sandra Downs wrote:

> Has anyone else had problems with knee pops on climbing? Used to be just on
> steep climbs, now it happens to me too frequently, including just climbing
> the stairs. I had a bone scan two years ago but nothing showed, not even
> arthritis. Knee makes a cracking sound and feels like a bone is slipping.
> Worried about this re:long distance hiking. Suggestions/comments? -

My knee snaps and cracks, usually with out pain. It's the result of
a running injury - Ilio-tibial band syndrome -. Hiking has been very
kind to this injury, it appeare to be almost theraputic if the down
hills aren't too steep and the pack is 60 lbs or less. The only pain
that I experience is from running too many miles in a week or running
too hard. (40 year old fibers aren't as flexible as they used to be).
The pain can be located on the outside of the leg, just above the knee
or, anywhere from the knee to the hip on the outside of my leg.
My solution if possible has been rest ice & ibuprofin.

My wife's knees however have sounded like a walking craps shoot
for the past 20 to 25 years. She has no pain and no problems.
She does hike, but she doesn't run.
At times it sounds like a bowl of rice crispies is walking up to you.

Test yourself... if you feel a problem see a health care pro.
If it's only noise, it ain't broke so don't fix it.

Bob