Re: [AT-L] Knee pops

Sandra writes:

> Has anyone else had problems with knee pops on climbing? Used to be just on
> steep climbs, now it happens to me too frequently, including just climbing
> the stairs. I had a bone scan two years ago but nothing showed, not even
> arthritis. Knee makes a cracking sound and feels like a bone is slipping.
> Worried about this re:long distance hiking. Suggestions/comments? - Sandy
> Sandra Downs 			<downs@nb.net>
> Pittsburgh, PA        	     	Visit Cyberwall! http://www.nb.net/~downs/

Sandra,
I have heard of a disorder called Patellar Tracking Disorder in which the
patella does not move smoothly along the knee joint.  It can be caused by
a variety of reasons such as differences in cartilage density as well as
tightness in tendons/ligaments that surround the knee and pull the
patella off-track.  I don't know if there is a satisfactory treatment for
the disorder.  I have the same problem but only when I am standing up
from a deep knee bend or the like.  I don't know if it's really a problem
but you might want to mention it to your doctor on your next visit.  Good
luck!!

Jason