Re: [AT-L] Re: Hiking pole holes

ILFltlndr@aol.com writes:

> Okay.....I gotta say it. Quite often when I am hiking and staring down at the
> trail so I don't trip and break a leg, I see the holes from the hiking poles,
> etc. I find that they take away from my "experience" because I feel like
> someone just walked by there a few minutes ago.....bye, bye wilderness.  Ha!

One one hand, the impact of hiking on trails (even the very existence
of maintained trails) suggests that the environment will "suffer."  I
suppose one has to weigh the relative importance of the various types
of impact.  I suppose also that it's not true wilderness to even be on a
"trail."  If the holes bother you, what about footprints? If I'm on a
trail, footprints and holes usually are among the farthest thing from
my mind.  I'm enjoying the scenery too much, which is why I'm out
there in the first place.

Dick

Richard Hihn			Phone:(518) 584-5000 (x2609)
Department of Music
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866	Email:rhihn@bart.skidmore.edu

End of network mail