Re: [AT-L] Fleece...

>Has anyone here tried out Polartec 100, 200 and 300?  I was wondering which
>type would be best to have in April on the chillier, southern part of the
>AT.  Would I need the same type (ie: 100) for both top and bottom, or would
>I need more or less insulation for my legs?  I've heard that people
>generally tend to need less on the bottom, but I just wanted to check.  Thanks!
>
>Slainte,
>Cindi

Cindi -

Somehow I get the idea that you're thinking of hiking in Polartec?
I won't comment on that - I'll just tell you what I did.  I started
with 1 pair of midweight polypro thermals, 1 light weight polypro
top, a cotton T-shirt, a light wool shirt, a Polartec 200 pullover,
a pair of nylon wind pants, a Goretex parka, 2 pairs of shorts,
a wool hat, a pair of polypro gloaves and a polypro balaclava -
and a pair of cotton work pants.  The work pants went in my
sendahead box at the first mail drop and became my "town
clothes" for the rest of the trip.  Normal hiking "attire" for
the South was the set of mid weight thermals and shorts, with
the addition of the wool shirt, parka and wind pants as necessary.
Everything else was considered "camp clothes" and were kept dry -
regardless of weather, temperature or discomfort.  If you don't
have dry clothes to change into you're not gonna enjoy camping.
With the exception of the one set of thermals, wool shirt and hat
and the parka (which I traded for a much lighter coated nylon
jacket in VA) - and the addition of a Coolmax T-shirt, my
wardrobe stayed the same all the way to Katahdin.   I know
you hate being cold so I'll tell you that I was cold only twice -
once in Tennessee and once in Maine.  And the solution in both
cases was to stop at the first opportunity, set up the tent and
get in the sleeping bag until I warmed up.

The general rule is to keep your body core (torso) warm.  But
as a thruhiker you won't generally have any problem keeping
warm - if you're doing what you're out there for (to walk),
you'll have a lot more problem with staying cool.

One other thing - If you're out there long enough (like into
Mass/Vermont) your metabolism may change.  And then
you'll spend the next 4(??) years trying to cool down.

You'll also likely find that your attitude about staying dry
will change drastically - but that's another subject.

Walk softly,
Jim