Re: [AT-L] Fleece...

At 02:33 PM 9/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone here tried out Polartec 100, 200 and 300?  I was wondering which
>type would be best to have in April on the chillier, southern part of the
>AT.  Would I need the same type (ie: 100) for both top and bottom, or would
>I need more or less insulation for my legs?  I've heard that people
>generally tend to need less on the bottom, but I just wanted to check.  Thanks!
>
>Slainte,
>Cindi

I used REI MTS midweight thermal underwear for sleeping at night - worked
fine.  Used an REI fleece jacket (Rei had cheaper fleecer than many other
companies) - I think it was probably a midweight (200).  Worked well.  Also
used REI MTS midweight turtleneck underwear top at night - that was great -
coupled with 15 degree bag, I was fine (but that was in '95 and the coldest
night I remember was only about 28 degrees on Tray Mtn. (but the windchill
probably made it closer to 15).  Hiked in lightweight REI MTS shortsleeve
tops and as it got really hot (and man did it get hot), switched to running
singlets.  REI stuff didn't stink bad either (or at least not as bad as
compared to Duofold, which was awful - maybe they've improved it, but it was
bad news in '95).

Mark and Janet Holmes
Full Moon and Celestial Spirit (Ga-Me '95)
Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers
VA 16
Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
AT Hiker stopping point in the Grayson Highlands!
540-677-3313 or 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
email - mholmes@netva.com