Re: [AT-L] RE: running shoes / gaiters

>many hikers love the 3" nylon OR ankle gaiters.  they have elastic tops and
>bottoms, and really don't require the cord running under the shoe - just
>attach to the top of the laces, and they sit perfectly well in place.
>
>mike
>ke kaahawe

I thought the 3" gaiters were fine for keeping out dirt, sticks, etc., but
water - forget it. Hiking just in shorts, the rain would run down my legs
and right under the top of the gaiter.  I would pour water out of my boots.
IMHO, waterproofing boots is a waste of time if you are using the 3"
gaiters, cause the water is gonna get in anyway!  I know some people wore
the knee high ones, but those looked hot to me - probably did a better job
of keeping out water(maybe).  I only wore rain pants on one day in the
smokies, otherwise just shorts and my boots were always soaked, despite
Nikwax treatments,etc.

Mark and Janet Holmes
Full Moon and Celestial Spirit (Ga-Me '95)
Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers
VA 16
Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
AT Hiker stopping point in the Grayson Highlands!
540-677-3313 or 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
email - mholmes@netva.com