Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Sweetwater Guardian vs. Pur Hiker

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Dwayne Rich wrote:

> > handle, a sign that the filter is plugged.  Backflushing did not help,
> > so that means time to replace the filter - way less than the
> > advertized 200 gallons.  Two thru-hikers we passed were travelling
> > with dead PUR Scouts, same problem as my Explorer.  The thru-hikers
> > with the PUR Hiker were not having any problems.
>
> 	I have hiked with both the Explorer and Hiker and both have crapped out on me
> with a clogged filter.  I have also hiked with someone with the Sweetwater and it
> clogged on them also.  I wonder if anyone has hiked for very long without a clogged
> filter or if it is the norm?  The longest trip I have had has been two weeks.  I
> couldn't imagine hiking the AT and having to replace the filter every two weeks. ANyone
> have any luck with a filter that has made it all the way?  How about the Kathadin or MSR
> filters?

    Used an MSR Waterworks II (with a ceramic filter and no pre-filter
    disk) from Fontana Dam to just short of Kathadin, where it finally
    clogged for good. Next time I'll wrap the intake with coffee filter
    material which should take me all the way without problems.

                                         Blaze  GA-ME '94