Re: [AT-L] Smokies hike.

tfort wrote:

>AT enthusiasts .... Do any of you remember, or, have read about, the erabefore the AT turned south to go over fontana dam in '48?  It use to go
over Gregory Bald.   Do you know of the exact route the AT followed
before it was shortened to it's current route? I know it meet the
current trail at Doe knob to the north.  Where in the Nantahalas did it
join with the current trail, to the south? Can this route still be
>hiked?  These are good history questions!

I hiked thru the Smokies 7 or 8 years ago. I don't remember the source,
but I am certain that I was told, or read, that the old route was not
passable, at least all the way. Sorry this info is so incomplete.

Felix