Re: [AT-L] Sticky, Icky Kraft Dinner

At 01:38 PM 9/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I understand that Kraft Dinner is one of the staples of many thru-hiker's
>diets. Maybe I could get some advice on how to cook it properly in the
>backcouintry.
>
>I thought that the easiest thing in the world to take was that Kraft Dinner
>stuff. However, when I made it on the last trip it was horrible. The noodles
>were sticky and mushy. No one would eat it.  It looked like a big sticky
>overcooked mess.
>
>I have a Whisperlite and a 1.5 litre cookpot with lid to make it in. I was
>hoping I would need a bigger pot for just the two of us.
>
>Can anyone give exact instructions (cooking times, water amounts, rinse/no
>rinse) for this dish?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Stormy

Stormy,

        If they came out the way you said they did, then you overcooked the
noodles. I cooked this glop a number of times on the trail - no problems.  I
just followed the directions on the box.  You don't have to rinse the
noodles, just drain the water off, then add the other ingredients.

Mark
Mark and Janet Holmes
Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers
VA 16
Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
AT Hiker stopping point in the Grayson Highlands!
540-677-3313 or 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
email - mholmes@netva.com