Re: Shuttle

At 05:10 PM 9/5/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>How have you made out with your shuttle to Pearisburg?

 I got a ride from a trucker from Atkins to Christiansburg, the first car
passed gave me a ride to Blacksburg while the truck was still in view, and
in five minutes on 460 in Blacksburg, a ride brought me to the hostel. It
was amazing.

 To any others out there that may have been concerned, I survived hurricane
Fran just fine. I was in my tent near the pond about a mile and a half south
of Chestnut Knob Shelter when it hit at about 2 am. The wind ripped the 2
stakes of the rain fly out of the ground but the tent held up great. the
flapping was noisy but I was dry for what it was worth. In the morning,
taking it down and packing it in the driving rain was a nightmare.
Fortunately I was in an open grassy area and falling tree branches were not
a problem. I quit hiking only some 7 miles later at Knot Maul Shelter for
the day and spent the afternoon reading. It was over at 4 pm.

My tent is a Kelty Microlite.

My wife was frantic listening to weather reports and called many including
the Pearisburg Police.

I met Satchmo, a southbound thru hiker at the Pearisburg Hostel. Didn't get
his real name but he is from Middlebury, Vt.

I'll send a trip report when I have more time.

Jim