Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Sweetwater Guardian vs. Pur Hiker

> clogged on them also.  I wonder if anyone has hiked for very long without a clogged
> filter or if it is the norm?  The longest trip I have had has been two weeks.  I
> couldn't imagine hiking the AT and having to replace the filter every two weeks. ANyone
> have any luck with a filter that has made it all the way?  How about the Kathadin or MSR
> filters?

I have had a Katadyn for several years now (I think I paid under 150 for
it, that's what a new element now costs).  I am still on my original
element, with moderate annual usage (20 days total, more or less).  I
have only scrubbed it with their brush once, and found it was too
abrasive to just remove the surface silt.  I just use a finger
(toothbrush at home) to wipe the element clean every few days.

Most folks don't realize the amount of silt in Appalachian spring water.
 Even pumping from a pot or cup (as I usually do), or direct from a water
source with the siphon hose supported in clear water, the filter will
still silt up.

At least the Katadyn is easily field-cleaned in this situation.

DP...