Re: [AT-L] Sweetwater Guardian vs. Pur Hiker

Just back from 90 miles on the AT in Maine with a PUR Explorer.  I
should have tested it better before starting.  After the first few
days I was getting about 25% thoughput, the rest coming out the
handle, a sign that the filter is plugged.  Backflushing did not help,
so that means time to replace the filter - way less than the
advertized 200 gallons.  Two thru-hikers we passed were travelling
with dead PUR Scouts, same problem as my Explorer.  The thru-hikers
with the PUR Hiker were not having any problems.

Until you hear that Scouts and Explorers have been fixed, I recommend
buying something else. On the plus side - my Explorer did not fail
completely, I was getting usable output - just too much work.