Chili recipe

In a trip report posted earlier, I mentioned a good chili recipe.  Here it
is.  Feel free to adapt it to your taste.  I'm giving the directions as 1st
given to me, and then how I myself adapted the recipe.

>From a Florida hiker I met at LeConte shelter, GSMNP:

    At home dehydrate:  1 can black beans
                                   1 can kidney beans
                                   1/2 jar salsa

    At camp mix dried ingredients with 1 and 1/2 cups textured vegetable
protein (TVP, available in health food stores and some groceries), 1 pkg
chili seasoning mix, and 5-6 cups water.  Cook until beans are soft.  Eat
with tortilla chips.

My adaptation:  I cooked the beans myself, and then dehydrated 1 cup each of
cooked red kidney beans and pinto beans.  Dehydrated about 1/2 to 3/4 jar
Pace mild salsa.   I added about 3/4 cup water to a baggie with the beans,
about 4-5 hrs before cooking.  To prepare, I mixed the beans, salsa, 1 cup
TVP, and pkg of Adolph's chili seasoning mix.

The mixture tends to get thick, so keep adding water as necessary.  Also,
stir frequently (or continuously) so it doesn't burn.  I carried the chili
fixings & MtnTopper carried the tortilla chips.  Wonderful meal on a cool,
rainy evening on Grandfather Mtn!  (This provides 2 GENEROUS servings, or 3
regular).  Enjoy!

Marty (Gypsy)