We need help - Storm damage - SNP

Andy Hiltz just sent me this.

--Kathy - currently watching the Potomac River come up my road....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 21:48:54 -0500
From: Andy Hiltz <ahiltz@bbn.com>
To: kathy@fred.net
Subject: We need help.

Subject:
            Storm Devastates Shenandoah National Park
       Date:
            Sat, 07 Sep 1996 21:43:08 -0500
       From:
            Andy Hiltz <ahiltz@bbn.com>

I have just received an early report from Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
Supervisor of Trails Anneliese Ring on the condition of the Park
following Tropical Storm Fran - and the the news isn't good.  On Friday
alone, over 12 inches of rain was recorded at Big Meadows.  The Park is
still closed, and thousands of trees are down throughout the Park.

It is doubtful the Skline Drive will be open this Sunday, and the Park
will still be closed.  Concerning trail conditions, Anneliese reports
that her hike along her Appalachian Trail section from Panorama at Rt.
211 to the summit of Mary's Rock showed that more than 20 trees were down
across the trail.  Heading the other direction, north towards Pass
Mountain, we received a report from a through-hiker (who is currently
staying with Annelise and Phil Fosterman due to trail conditions) that
"the Appalachian Trail is impassible".  He mentioned that he rode out the
storm at Rock Springs shelter while trees were crashing down around him.
 Phil reports that at the height of run-off, ALL the bridges in
Sperryville were at least two feet under water.  He counted dozens of
trees cleared from Rt. 211 from Sperryville to Thornton Gap.

If you are a trail overseer in Shenandoah National Park, you might want
to plan to visit your trail section next weekend with your best hand-saw.
 There's a lot of work to be done at this point.  If you're a hiker, it
will be rough going for many weeks I'm afraid.  Downed trees can require
bypasses through poison ivy and nettles - not an appealing prospect.

Meanwhile, local news reports that the AT stretch along the C&O Canal is
once again under water.  All the hard work to resurrect the trail
following the February floods will likely be lost.

If you would like to pitch in and help us reopen the trails, please send
me an email, and I will let you know when trips are scheduled to reopen
the Appalachian Trail and other hiking trails in our region.  We need
your help, so if you've thought about volunteering in the past, now would
be a good time to pitch in.  Please help!

I will keep you posted as I receive new information.

Andy
ahiltz@bbn.com
PATC Webmaster
http://io.datasys.swri.edu/PATC/patc.html