Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Electronics on the AT

Jim Owen wrote:

> You've asked a couple really good questions -
>
> >But what if...

Give me a massive break!
If I had to make the argument (and only for the sake of argument), I
could
spiritulize the use of a pager-laptop-cellphone to make a point.
Hey! I'm a former fundamentalist / pentecostal preacher.
Wait!!! Jim, this is not a flame. :)
Not everyone has or will recognize a thru-hike as a spiritual
experience,
as many on this list seem to indicate.
For some it will be nothing but a religious experience, a burden.
To some it is the fulfillment of a life long dream.
To others a simple joy.
Others may look at it as another task to be accomplished, much akin
to the "peak baggers".
The possibilities are endless. It's your hike.

The way I see it, that is looking through the glasses which I look at my
life through, somebody elses techno-do-dad will not adversly affect my
spiritual or natural experience (read thru-hike, vacation,weekender or
day hike).
UNLESS, that individual is encroaching upon my personal space.

Personally, I believe in non-descrimination. If a Thru-hiker offends me
with his beeper or a day hiker offends me with his boom-box I'll attempt
to deal with it as far as my tolerance will carry me.
If we get beyond that then a discussion or more will ensue. (This may
include
the temporary confiscation of the offending equipment)

I don't think that technology is the issue, except for perhaps the folks
who
have deluded themselves into believing that the AT is a "wilderness".
Just take a few steps off the trail in most areas, and Viola! all the
trappings of modern living (How about motels with hot tubs???).
The issue is common courtesy.
The problem will probably be that the more crowded that the trail gets,
the less common that courtesy will be.

Jim, I hope that your byline doesn't have to become
walk softly, and carry a big stick.  <grin>

Hopefully I'll see ya'll at the Gathering.

bob