Re: [AT-L] Dogs on AT

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:09:58 -0500 (CDT) John Newman
<NEWMAN@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU> writes:

>The rest of the AT is open to dogs without restrictions.  Oops, I
>thing Bear
>Mountain Zoo ( and I do mean zoo) near Bear Mountain Bridge in NY may
>require a
>dog to be leashed.

I've been out of town for a few days and am just catching up on my
email.  I apologize if this ground has already been covered...

My wife's dog (leashed) was asked to leave the Bear Mountain 'zoo' --
I've never seen a bobcat seem so agitated at the mere sight of another
animal :-)  No big deal, we just headed for the bridge, where the dog
paid his dime and continued on down the trail.

Baxter State Park is the big problem for trail dogs.  Official policy
prohibits dogs from entering the park.  Anyone know if the guide
dog of the blind thru-hiker was granted entry into BSP (I guess I
really should read the book)?

jim
jloudon@juno.com